Browse The Report
- Nonprofit Email Deliverability & Engagement Benchmarks
- Nonprofit List Sizes
- Ask The Expert: Is List Segmentation Really That Important?
- Nonprofit Email Bounce Rates
- Nonprofit Email Open Rates
- Nonprofit Email Unsubscribe Rates
- Nonprofit Email Click-Through Rates
- Nonprofit Email Fundraising Performance
- Nonprofit Email Performance by Date & Time
- Email Sender Superlatives
- A Data-Driven Approach to Subject Lines & Preview Text
- Convey Positive Emotions in Subject Lines
- Ask the Expert: How Did You Use AI for Subject Line Sentiment Analysis?
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Subject Lines
- Experiment with Emojis in Subject Lines
- Write Compelling Preview Text
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Preview Text
- Put It All Together — Performance Benchmarks & Word Usage
- Creating Effective Emails
- Ask the Expert: What Should I Keep In Mind When Creating Compelling Emails?
- Tip #1 — Include Imagery in Your Emails
- Tip #2 — Pay Attention to Salutations
- Ask The Expert: Do Salutations Really Make a Difference?
- Tip #3 — Use the Word "You"
- Tip #4 — Make Your Message Scannable
- Ask The Expert: How Do I Create a Great Call to Action?
- Tip #5 — Include Great Calls to Action
- Put It All Together - Build Clear, Compelling Emails
- Lessons from the Most Engaging Email of 2022
- Data-Backed Insights for GivingTuesday and Year-End
- Methodology & Appendix
- About Neon One
Email Sender Superlatives
What types of nonprofits have the highest-performing emails? The answers might surprise you!
Bounce Rate by NTEE Classification
(Lower is Better)
|Arts, Culture, & Humanities||1.82%|
|Health & Human Services||2.25%|
|Recreation, Sports, & Leisure||1.01%|
|Environment & Animal-Related||1.36%|
|Hospitals & Care Organizations||1.29%|
|Science, Technology, & Social Sciences||1.68%|
Open Rate by NTEE Classification
(Higher is Better)
|Arts, Culture, & Humanities||26%|
|Health & Human Services||28.93%|
|Recreation, Sports, & Leisure||32.06%|
|Environment & Animal-Related||32.77%|
|Hospitals & Care Organizations||37.39%|
|Science, Technology, & Social Sciences||30.37%|
Unsubscribe Rate by NTEE Classification
(Lower is Better)
|Arts, Culture, & Humanities||0.19%|
|Health & Human Services||0.20%|
|Recreation, Sports, & Leisure||0.16%|
|Environment & Animal-Related||0.20%|
|Hospitals & Care Organizations||0.16%|
|Science, Technology, & Social Sciences||0.14%|
Click-Through Rate by NTEE Classification
(Higher is Better)
|Arts, Culture, & Humanities||2.66%|
|Health & Human Services||4.66%|
|Recreation, Sports, & Leisure||3.98%|
|Environment & Animal-Related||3.25%|
|Hospitals & Care Organizations||5.57%|
|Science, Technology, & Social Sciences||9.81%|
Here’s a cool takeaway from these superlatives: Professional associations had both the highest open rate and the lowest unsubscribe rate. Why might that be the case?
Professional associations tend to have audiences who all have common professions or interests. Our jobs are a major part of how we identify ourselves: Communications from these organizations speak directly to their recipients’ identities, which means they’re especially compelling. Association members may also be paying dues, which may make them more invested in those emails.
If you want to improve your engagement rates, try to connect with your contacts’ identities. Your donors may not have paid dues to your organization, but they’ve still invested in your cause. They support your cause for personal reasons instead of professional ones. If you can tap into those motivations and appeal to their identities as generous individuals, passionate advocates, or cause champions, you’ll keep them more engaged.