Browse The Report
- Nonprofit Email Deliverability & Engagement Benchmarks
- Nonprofit List Sizes
- Ask The Expert: Is List Segmentation Really That Important?
- Nonprofit Email Bounce Rates
- Nonprofit Email Open Rates
- Nonprofit Email Unsubscribe Rates
- Nonprofit Email Click-Through Rates
- Nonprofit Email Fundraising Performance
- Nonprofit Email Performance by Date & Time
- Email Sender Superlatives
- A Data-Driven Approach to Subject Lines & Preview Text
- Convey Positive Emotions in Subject Lines
- Ask the Expert: How Did You Use AI for Subject Line Sentiment Analysis?
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Subject Lines
- Experiment with Emojis in Subject Lines
- Write Compelling Preview Text
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Preview Text
- Put It All Together — Performance Benchmarks & Word Usage
- Creating Effective Emails
- Ask the Expert: What Should I Keep In Mind When Creating Compelling Emails?
- Tip #1 — Include Imagery in Your Emails
- Tip #2 — Pay Attention to Salutations
- Ask The Expert: Do Salutations Really Make a Difference?
- Tip #3 — Use the Word "You"
- Tip #4 — Make Your Message Scannable
- Ask The Expert: How Do I Create a Great Call to Action?
- Tip #5 — Include Great Calls to Action
- Put It All Together - Build Clear, Compelling Emails
- Lessons from the Most Engaging Email of 2022
- Data-Backed Insights for GivingTuesday and Year-End
- Methodology & Appendix
- About Neon One
How does your nonprofit compare to these industry benchmarks? Let’s find out!
You know email is an important channel for engaging your audience, educating them about your work, and inspiring them to support your cause. But how successful are your email messages? And how can you make them even better?Comparing your performance to standard benchmarks can help you gauge your email campaigns’ effectiveness and identify ways to improve them. In Part 1 of this report, you’ll discover some high-level email performance benchmarks, dig into how they’re calculated, and learn what they may mean for your organization.
Here’s something to keep in mind as you read through the benchmarks in this study: In June, 2021, Apple unveiled some privacy updates that impact the data nonprofits can gather about their open rates. If you have people in your lists who open emails on devices running iOS 15 or higher, the open rates you track in your email service provider may be slightly different than your actual open rates. Instead of relying heavily on open rates to gauge audience engagement and your emails’ effectiveness, consider other metrics like bounce rates, unsubscribe rates, and click-through rates (CTRs).