Browse The Report
- Nonprofit Email Deliverability & Engagement Benchmarks
- Nonprofit List Sizes
- Ask The Expert: Is List Segmentation Really That Important?
- Nonprofit Email Bounce Rates
- Nonprofit Email Open Rates
- Nonprofit Email Unsubscribe Rates
- Nonprofit Email Click-Through Rates
- Nonprofit Email Fundraising Performance
- Nonprofit Email Performance by Date & Time
- Email Sender Superlatives
- A Data-Driven Approach to Subject Lines & Preview Text
- Convey Positive Emotions in Subject Lines
- Ask the Expert: How Did You Use AI for Subject Line Sentiment Analysis?
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Subject Lines
- Experiment with Emojis in Subject Lines
- Write Compelling Preview Text
- Words to Include (or Avoid) in Your Preview Text
- Put It All Together — Performance Benchmarks & Word Usage
- Creating Effective Emails
- Ask the Expert: What Should I Keep In Mind When Creating Compelling Emails?
- Tip #1 — Include Imagery in Your Emails
- Tip #2 — Pay Attention to Salutations
- Ask The Expert: Do Salutations Really Make a Difference?
- Tip #3 — Use the Word "You"
- Tip #4 — Make Your Message Scannable
- Ask The Expert: How Do I Create a Great Call to Action?
- Tip #5 — Include Great Calls to Action
- Put It All Together - Build Clear, Compelling Emails
- Lessons from the Most Engaging Email of 2022
- Data-Backed Insights for GivingTuesday and Year-End
- Methodology & Appendix
- About Neon One
Ask the Expert: What Should I Keep In Mind When Creating Compelling Emails?
A savvy nonprofit communicator should begin every significant email effort by asking themselves a few clarifying questions to create effective email communications, such as:
- Who is my target audience, and what are their interests?
- What specific message do I want to convey in this email, and what action do I want the recipient to take?
- How can I make this email stand out in the recipient’s inbox?
Some practical strategies nonprofits can adopt to make email communication more impactful and readable include:
- Shortening sentences and paragraphs
- Segmenting email lists
- Using clear calls to action (CTAs) throughout (especially within the masthead image)
- Using storytelling to create emotional connections with readers
Improve the user experience by optimizing email speed and load time by preemptively compressing images. For those using email marketing platforms, segmentation and personalization allow content creators to tailor messages to specific audiences, resulting in increased engagement, higher open and click-through rates, and, ultimately, better outcomes.